2019 Grant Information
The Oregon Dairy Farmers Association is inviting research proposals for consideration. Proposals should focus on applied research important to Oregon’s dairy industry.
Approximately $75,000 is available from the Oregon Dairy Farmers Association. The research committee has established the subject matter priorities listed below.
Proposal deadline is 5:00 p.m. on November 9, 2018. Late proposals will not be accepted. Awards will be announced in December, 2018. Funding will be available in January, 2019. Proposals should be for the work period January through December, 2019, though multi-year proposals will be considered if necessary for a successful project. Multi-year proposals must be resubmitted to the grant committee annually.
Dairy Research Priorities
The Oregon Dairy Farmers Association is interested in projects that are related to enhancing profitability and sustainability of dairy operations in Oregon through:
- Air quality (e.g. odor; feed storage and management; etc.)
- Animal welfare and employee protocols
- Water use/irrigation management and technologies
- Enhancement of quality and production of forages
- Animal disease and health
- Improved farm protocols to increase milk quality
- Manure management/nitrogen efficiency and management (e.g. odor; composting; etc.)
- Pasture management improvements
- Improvement in reproductive efficiency
- Feed efficiency
Proposal Preparation and Submission
- Follow the proposal format (Attachment B) and limit your proposal to four (4) pages or less for Attachment A items. Proposals exceeding four pages will automatically be eliminated. Attachment B and Attachment C must be included as part of your proposal but are not included in the four page limit. The review panel is composed primarily of dairy producers. Please write your proposal clearly in non-technical language, and cite key references.
- Please create your proposal using word processing software and then save as a PDF – 10 MB maximum size. Use 1-inch margins and at least an 11-point font. Do not include page numbers.
- Include the signature page (Attachment A) as the first page in your PDF. Do not sign your electronic proposal. Actual signatures are not needed at this stage.
- Please do not print and then scan the document to create a PDF unless this is your only preparation option.
- Review the PDF before submitting to be sure it is in acceptable format.
- Please use this naming convention when saving your proposal as a PDF– LASTNAME_ODFA_ 2019_proposal. If you have two or more proposals, after the word “proposal,” add a one word descriptor such as _genetics, _environmentalmonitoring, etc.
- Submission Deadline – 5 p.m. on November 9, 2018.
Submission to the Agricultural Research Foundation (ARF)
- Go to http://agresearchfoundation.oregonstate.edu/webform/oregon-dairy-farmers-association-proposalreport
- Enter your first and last name and email address
- Upload your PDF proposal file
- Meet submission date/time deadline
- Signature copy – we will be using the OSU DocuSign system to secure needed signatures on proposals. ARF personnel will route proposals for signatures. You do not need to print a hard copy of the proposal and route for signatures but please be sure that you have accurately and fully completed your signature page. You will receive an email asking for you to electronically sign your proposal and will later receive a fully signed copy of your proposal from the DocuSign system.
- While not required, we would appreciate an email from you indicating that you have submitted a proposal through the web-form system. In this first year using these new systems, this is our failsafe. Please send an email to:
Oregon Dairy Farmers Association Agricultural Research Foundation
Proposals awarded funding will be notified by the Association and/or ARF.
Important Note: Progress reports and final reports are mandatory. Progress reports for 2019 funding will be due no later than September 1, 2019. Final reports for 2019 funding are due June 30, 2020. Researchers who do not submit reports as scheduled may not be eligible for funding for the remainder of the fiscal year in which the report is due and possible future fiscal years at the discretion of the ODFA board. A reminder of report due dates will be sent.
Thank you for your consideration of these requirements to facilitate the work funded by the Oregon Dairy Farmers Association. If you have questions, please contact Tami Kerr at email@example.com.